Tuesday, April 7, 2009

you CAN help...but will you?

The world is a troubled,troubled place at this point in time. I know that the people of my country are having to face increasing joblessness, the fear of losing their mortgage (if they haven’t already), homelessness, and an extremely low morale - all the result of an extremely bleak economy. But this problem is not local, not limited to just this country, we’re at an all time low all over the world.

What we are facing now, some countries have faced such problems for years! Sure, we have less now but there are people out there, who in comparison to us, have a lot less! And I know that knowing this may not necessarily make you feel better - the misfortune of someone else is not reason for you to feel better about your own misfortune, but I do hope that it does make you ponder at exactly what kind of a world we are living in, and it makes you re-evaluate precisely how much we take for granted. The water coming out of our kitchen faucets may not be as clean as we’d like, but it’s drinkable and at least we don’t have to walk miles to some remote well to get it. We may have cut down on eating out, and began budgeting but at the end of the day, we have food on our tables!

I know for a fact that you have heard all this before, and thought it over too at some point in time. And I know it frustrates a lot of us that we are unable to help, especially when we want to, because we don’t have the means. I’m a medical student, and I try so hard to find volunteering projects in needy areas, but they all cost exorbitant amounts of money that I cannot afford. Maybe one day I will be able to work in the flesh for others, but for right now, I keep asking myself - what can I do with what I have right now?

This question led me to look for avenues through which I can perhaps help without having to go anywhere. I came across a lot of organizations that donate money (mostly in exchange for advertising, and or promotions) to different causes - and all we have to do, is to show up on these sites and either play games, or take a trivia test, or some merely require you to click on a certain part of the website. There are some that require you to recruit other members, and or donate your time by helping to spread the word.

The point of all this is, that if you really do want to help - you no longer have an excuse not to! It may not be on a grand scale, but I am sure it means a lot to someone somewhere. Five thousand grains of rice, five loaves of bread, a thousand cups of water - those are all reachable goals within a day, and YOU can make that happen, YOU can feed someone hungry out there! You decide the level of your involvement, you decide the level of your enthusiasm, you decide the level of your commitment - but do get involved, be glad that these avenues are around, and do commit yourself to helping others - it’s the gift that keep’s on giving!

I am making this blog as a promotion for all these sites, and I am going to try and feature a different site every day. Most of them are a great way to make yourself more aware about the problems of the world, and others test your knowledge and help you exercise your smarts. Hopefully with my schedule I am able to do as I have proposed, but one way or another I will try my best to spread the word. I urge you to do the same!

In my opinion, don’t just “live and let live”….I say “live, and help others live just as well as you’d like to live!” :)

Take care, and thank you for your time and consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment