Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spotlight On: Free Flour


Free Flour http://www.freeflour.com/ is very similar to FreeRice in its workings, however, it is not affiliated with any legitimate organizations, and it does not specify to whom, or how, this donation occurs. According to the website, they do not donate actual flour, but donate an amount of money equivalent to one spoon of flour to multiple charities.

The website states that currently it is displaying Google Ads in order to generate the money needed to make the donations, and that it helps for you to visit these ads/sites that are sponsoring the program. However, when I click on these banners, most of them (but not all) appear to be expired.

I know that the lack of connection to a legitimate organization, along with not having any corporate sponsors is cause for concern to many of you contributors, but I featured the site because like FreeRice, the project is a noble one.

As for it's content, the questions are mostly based on general knowledge trivia, pertaining mostly to different countries, their capitals, landmarks and customs. The questions are relatively simple & easy, therefore it is easier to amass many "spoonfuls" of flour for donation in a very short period of time. I was able to donate 5 loaves & 1 bun (1 loaf = 500 spoons of flour; 1 bun = 10 spoons) within merely 15 minutes!


This site is not impressive in any way, other than the thought behind it. Like I said, I know it would make me feel better (as well as, I am sure, many others) if I knew exactly how, or through what organisations, these donations were being made, but overall it's a good attempt. Rather than to ensconce myself in doubt, I just think a few minutes spent on it couldn't hurt! Plus, maybe if they see a significant increase in people visiting the site, they'll be more inclined/motivated to get more sponsors and commit to an organization *shrugs* who knows? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment